Public innovation in the Digital Agenda for Europe: crowdsourcing ideas

Europe’s public services are in turmoil and there is increasing pressure put on public services to evolve urgently. We are committed in going digital to triple the bottom line of sustainability: environmental, social and economic.

Europe is hard at work when it comes to digital public services and sustainability with initiatives such as cross-border e-government, e-health for 2020, the European Innovation Partnership for active & healthy ageing, Digital Champions for e-literacy & e-inclusion, and soon a Smart Cities and Communities initiative.

This idea-generation space is launched to prepare the ground for the Mid-Term Review of the Digital Agenda for Europe (to be published in late 2012) and in preparation of the Digital Agenda Assembly. We aim to leverage the intelligence of Europeans to draw here the largest number of good ideas about one main question:

In which concrete ways should new Europe enable and deliver innovation in digital public services and sustainability?

• For example, should we step up R&D in connecting activities and ‘liberating data’ in health and care?
  • Should we invest more – and in what – in Horizon 2020 in public sector innovation to enable citizens’ co-creation of digital public services?
  • What else?

Where will your ideas go?
The most voted and commented ideas will be analyzed and taken into account in the context of the the Mid-Term Review of the Digital Agenda for Europe. They will also be an input for support at European level such as in Horizon 2020 or other programmes and initiatives..
But we are also very interested in initiatives that you directly carry out to promote public innovation, which could be replicated across Europe.

How can we deliver public innovation through the Digital Agenda for Europe?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Moving the children from the front of the PC display “behind it”. Turning children gradually from PC users to software developers starting

Developing a range of toys - in the form of classic - looking plastic robots, puppies, Cinderella etc. with a central removable microprocessor which can be connected to a computer, children have the opportunity to learn how to program the microprocessor so the toy performs certain tasks such as lifting its arms, moving its feet, blinking, barking, etc. These actions are possible because the toy has built including servo-motors, hydraulic moving parts, sound devices and so on, which are controlled by the programmed microprocessor.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Develop a new html based wordprocessing format

All moves towards the web, also word processing. With html and css you could make old binary document formats obsolete. Reference implementations and plugins are needed to challenge the old solution providers and open the path to the Clouds. The next wave of word processing should be dominated by European solutions.

2 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Eurobrowser with TOR

The EU should develop a free webbwowser that does not commercially spy on us citizens and hides communication from government surveillance. The browser would automatically support the TOR project infrastructure.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Super-Computing leadership

Europe should take the leadership in supercomputing and ensure a high percentage of European computer horse power in the top300 list.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Digitale Völkerverständigung

Nutzung von Online-Begegnung von Angehörigen aus unterschiedlichen Mitgliedsländern zum Erfahrungsaustausch online, um Sprachen zu lernen usw.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Net Neutrality

Here few simple words about the subject: make a EU law for net neutrality like the existing law in Netherlands or Chile!

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • European Operating System

The Commission should let develop an European Operating System for its citizens. We can not be safe online when the source code of our operating systems are owned by companies outside of Europe like Microsoft or Apple and may include backdoors for foreign secret agencies. The development of a european operating system could be an excellent opportunity to build productive competence in Europe, create jobs and national security. As many components are already available for reuse it is not rocket science anymore to create our own operating system but it needs the financial support for quality and convenience. It's about…

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • city Wifi

In all City centers free WIfi should be made available by the authorities so you could use your laptops in the park. It is actually quite cheap to provide for it, the only obstacle are legal risks for which solutions have to be invented!

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 1 Billion Open Source migration

Make a large scale open source migration to forster the European competitive advantage in that area and lower dependencies of the public sector. Any dependence on foreign software without disclosure of source code is a severe national security risk for Europe. to get the competitive edge the EC should earmark 1 billion Euro for open source development in Europe and encourage the transfer of knowledge between the different municipalities in europe carrying out their open source migration.

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Full scale screening for vulnerabilities

The EU should promote a full-scale screening of source code used in common online tools (messangers, web servers, web browsers, desktop systems) for vulnerabilities and security flaws. That would ensure resilience of software and reduce the social costs of corporate security mismatches, esp for the vital information infrastructure which affects many european citizens.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • I will not use market leaders anymore

I will pledge to avoid to use the solutions from dominant forces on the market and instead use the ones of their competitors. I will use Bing, not Google. Mac, not Microsoft. Identica, not twitter. Yahoo, not googlemail. This is my contribution to forster competition which is essential to innovation.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Minority requirement for public bodies

Public offices should be obliged to use tools in a pro-competition manner, for instance when google is the default search engine they should be partly obliged to use Bing by default. This way minority solutions do not get discriminated, esp. where the dominant player carries far too much weight which endangers the European democratic control. It is also in line with the conception of balance of forces/nations, so none gets marginalised or too dominant.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Make better use of the existing platforms and databases

Make better use of the existing platforms and databases (such as ePractice.eu) in recognising innovative initiatives across Europe, e.g. through highlighting the most interesting cases periodically with a good practice label (this was done until 2009). Of course, this should not be done too often (bi-annually?) and the number of selected cases should be limited to add a touch of exclusivity to motivate the organisations to post their projects. The ePractice database has quite a large selection of cases (with contact data) and this might allow for better orientation in the system (i.e. to understand which cases are remarkable on…

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Admin →
                            • The Political Incorrect: Drop Croudsourcing

Croudsourcing is on eof the many web 2.0 hypes with overinfalted expectations.

You might get more inouts and between the many more inputs will of course be good stuff. However, crouds are terrible and often even negative intelligence in evaluating suggestions.

Croud analysis CAN be good when the problem is welldefined, but this problem is complex, cross-competeance, poorly understood in almost every dimension and overloaded with ideological assumptions and interests.

I would suggest a return to rationality and arguments instead of a process dominated by populism without linkage to causality and risktaking.

In computer science there is a concept called…

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Creation of DigiServicesPedia: The Encyclopedia of digital services & products in Europe

Wikipedia has become of the most important tool of reference when looking for relatively reliable information on a subject.
                                The crowdsourcing process indeed guaranty a good level of neutrality and a relatively level of freshness of the information, allowing people to make quickly an informed decision on a subject.

However, information about companies and products is extremely limited in Wikipedia, because of different rules, such as the requirement of notability of the information, and conflict of interest rules. As a consequence, companies & products (and notably small one) have difficulty to "exist" in this space. Tentative of being present in…

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Blend of political transparency and social ...

It would be great to be able to identify, discover and connect with elected representatives via social media (both local and EU level). This would foster direct democracy and allow to get in touch with your officials right away. Say you provide your postal code and receive the list of people representing you, get a taste of where do they stand politically in the relationship to the key issues, their voting history, etc ... There should be further opportunity to engage in exchange of views, conduct opinion polls, etc ... Blend of political transparency and social media ... Here is…

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Break free from the digital dependency of Europe

The European Commission should actively overcome our strategic digital dependencies, for instance on word processing software and search engines, by financing of competing solutions. This would not only save Europeans and enterorises large amounts of money but also enable European solutions providers access to the digital interfaces to promote innovation and their solutions. The only way to overcome the eColony state of European markets is the creative destruction of the current monopolies by competition. Dependencies on digital formats are more dangerous than dependencies on oil and gas because they endanger our freedom and our access to technology and culture.

18 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • MY IDEA...EU: Creation of a portal Official (by the European Commission) single (Country members & non-EU) UEe-D

MY IDEA...Proposal for the creation : EU: Creation of a portal Official (by the European Commission) single (Country members & non-EU) UEe-Diplomacy « data.europeandiplomacy.eu ».
                                      Digital diplomacy, a tool of "soft power" for a new face of international relations...
                                      Bien à vous, Morgane BRAVO
                                      http://twitter.com/#!/MorganeBravo
                                      https://twitter.com/#!/EcologieI

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • idea management

we need idea management systems inside public consultation systems. in this way we can filter ideas. it is relevant 2 distributed leadership

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • eSkills have to be trained in all ages, especially with the very young (girls) starting in primary school

All item of the digital agenda end up with some kind of education better known as lifelong learning. It is fact that development of technology challenges all mankind from young to old. The older generation was educated in a traditional way in using pencil and paper, while the young generation uses smart phones and facebook.
                                          Basis of the digital agenda should be education to the new technology as it was using pen and paper and now smartphone. It does not help to support the upper 20% knowledge affine population but to get the further 60% of European population is difficult.…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1

Public innovation in the Digital Agenda for Europe: crowdsourcing ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base